COPD-AReNa: App-based rehabilitation aftercare program for persons with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
The positive health effects of pulmonary rehabilitation and physical activity in persons with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are evident. While exercise is an important component of pulmonary rehabilitation, persons with COPD frequently fail to remain physically active afterwards.
The aim of the project COPD-AReNa is to develop, implement and evaluate a 12-week internet-based rehabilitation aftercare program with an emphasis on physical activity promotion for persons with COPD.
The evaluation focuses on:
- Acceptance (content/technical aspects) and adherence (primary analysis)
- Effects on physical activity, quality of life, cardinal COPD symptoms, physical activity-related health competence (PAHCO)
- Influence of a close interconnection between inpatient rehabilitation and aftercare programme on acceptance, adherence and efficacy
What does the app-based aftercare program contain?
The internet-based aftercare program …
- … is conducted directly after an inpatient pulmonary rehabilitation programme at the Clinic Bad Reichenhall
- …includes monitoring and promotion of physical activity, progressive resistance and endurance training, and education through online learning modules
- … is based upon the content of pulmonary rehabilitation (exercise therapy, physiotherapy, education)
- … fosters physical activity related health competence (PAHCO)
Focus groups are conducted to assess the needs and demands of therapists and patients and to inform intervention development.
Organization & Staff
Project Duration: 1.1.2021 – 30.6.2022
Cooperation Partner: Klinik Bad Reichenhall of the German Pension Insurance, Section South Bavaria
Projekt Staff: Dr. Alexander Tallner (FAU), Andrea Bittner (Klinik Bad Reichenhall)
Funding: The project is funded by the German Pension Insurance (Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bayern Süd)