Physical Literacy Interventions
Physical Literacy Interventions
The physical activity-related health competence (PAHCO) model and the physical literacy approach, which is largely discussed on the international level, assume both that different person-related factors (e.g., motivation, physical competence, knowlegde) are required to lead a physically active lifestyle. Although both approaches have elaborate theoretical underpinnings, there are comparably few suggestions how to transform the underlying conceptual ideas into practical interventions. In this Australian-German cooperation project, we first shed light on the characteristics of physical literacy intervention studies by conducting a systematic literature search. In the planned analyses, main focus is placed on the (a) theoretical background of the intervention studies, (b) the conceptualization of intervention components, and (c) the effectiveness of interventions. In the second part of the project (in planning), an intervention reporting template is developed to increase the systematicity behind the interventions and improve the quality of studies.
Sub-project 1 – Systematic Intervention Analyses: 04/2020 – 12/2021
Sub-project 2 – Intervention Reporting Template: 01/2022 – 12/2022
Principal investigators: Dr. Johannes Carl, Prof. Dr. Klaus Pfeifer
Cooperation partners: Jaime Barratt & Prof. Dr. John Cairney (The University of Queensland, Australia), Dr. Clemens Töpfer (Universität Jena)
Journal Publications (for an overview, see CRIS):
- Carl, J., Barratt, J., Töpfer, C., Cairney, J., & Pfeifer, K. (2022). How are physical literacy interventions conceptualized? – A systematic review on intervention design and content. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 58, 102091. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2021.102091
- Carl, J., Barratt, J., Wanner, P., Töpfer, C., Cairney, J., & Pfeifer, K. (2022). The Effectiveness of Physical Literacy Interventions: A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis. Sports Medicine, 52, 2965–2999. https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40279-022-01738-4
- Carl, J., Barratt, J., Arbour-Nicitopoulos, K., Barnett, L.M., Dudley, D.A., Holler, P.,... Cairney, J. (2023). Development, explanation, and presentation of the Physical Literacy Interventions Reporting Template (PLIRT). International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 20. https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12966-023-01423-3
Presentation Project Results (Video) – Part 1: Review on Intervention Design and Content
Physical Literacy Interventions - Design and Content
Presentation Project Results (Video) – Part 2: Review on Effectiveness
Physical Literacy Interventions - Effectiveness
Presentation Project Results (Video) – Part 3: Reporting Template
Physical Literacy Interventions Reporting Template
Conference Contributions (for an overview, see CRIS):
- Carl, J., Barratt, J., St. John, L., Töpfer, C., Cairney, J., & Pfeifer, K. (2021). Nothing is as practical as a good theory! A systematic review of physical literacy interventions. In Proceedings of the Ontario Physical Literacy Summit. online, CA.
- Carl, J., Barratt, J., Töpfer, C., Cairney, J., & Pfeifer, K. (2021). How are physical literacy interventions conceptualized? A systematic review on theory, design and content. In Proceedings of the 8th International Society for Physical Activity and Health (ISPAH) Congress. Vancouver, CA.
- Carl, J., Barratt, J., Töpfer, C., Cairney, J., & Pfeifer, K. (2021). Design and content of physical literacy interventions: A systematic review. In Proceedings of the The International Physical Literacy Association E-Conference 2021. online.
- Carl, J., Barratt, J., Toepfer, C., Wanner, P., Cairney, J., & Pfeifer, K. (2022, June). From the Design to the Effectiveness of Physical Literacy Interventions: A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis. Paper presentation at 60th AIESEP World Congress, Gold Coast / Online, AU.
- Carl, J., Barratt, J., Wanner, P., Toepfer, C., Cairney, J., & Pfeifer, K. (2022, September). Physical Literacy als Basis für Interventionen zur integrativen Bewegungsförderung: Ein Systematisches Review mit Meta-Analyse. Paper presentation at Jahrestagung dvs-Kommission Gesundheit vom 14. – 16. September 2022 am Institut für Sportwissenschaft in Tübingen, Tübingen, DE.